Get the Separation Agreement

Get the Separation Agreement

Maybe it is a coincidence or maybe it is a larger trend. I am finding that more people do not get a separation agreement after a marriage (or co-habitation) breaks up. In many cases this can prevent the clients from getting an "A" mortgage, or a best-rate mortgage

Like most things I talk about, the consequence of not having a separation agreement depends upon the circumstances.

Anybody who is recently separated should use all legal means necessary to get a legal separation agreement. I have a few would-be clients who are having a tough time getting their ex-spouse to sign. A mortgage application is stalled until that issue is resolved (a private mortgage loan is likely possible).

The reason that a separation agreement is important is that no lender wants to approve a mortgage and then find there are financial surprises afterward. The borrower may be subject to a different division of assets than originally reported or may be subject to monthly payments to the ex-spouse.

I have handled cases where the couple have been long separated (20 years or so) and don't have a separation agreement. We were able to work past that. However, if the separation is recent, then it is critical that the borrower get an agreement.

Thanks Christina for the great advice!

Christina Horvath, MSc
Mortgage Planner
Verico Paragon Mortgages Inc.


No comments

Post Your Comment:

Your email will not be published
Reciprocity Logo The data relating to real estate on this website comes in part from the MLS® Reciprocity program of either the Greater Vancouver REALTORS® (GVR), the Fraser Valley Real Estate Board (FVREB) or the Chilliwack and District Real Estate Board (CADREB). Real estate listings held by participating real estate firms are marked with the MLS® logo and detailed information about the listing includes the name of the listing agent. This representation is based in whole or part on data generated by either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB which assumes no responsibility for its accuracy. The materials contained on this page may not be reproduced without the express written consent of either the GVR, the FVREB or the CADREB.